Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Losing tape drives on Windows 2003 media servers

2006-11-28 16:57:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Losing tape drives on Windows 2003 media servers
From: Mike.Powers at fnf.com (Powers, Mike)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:57:17 -0600
More recently I started losing tape drives from the OS at a alarming
rate. In the past it was one here, one there, but now I am losing a few
each week on each server. I am running out of options where to go next.
I also have other Windows servers configured the same way and they never
lose drives. The server that does not lose drives is using the same
driver and all servers are using persistent binding. I did notice one
difference in the HBA driver setting. The problem servers have
"TapeResetMask" disabled. But, I would not expect that to cause this
problem. The tapes drives always remain visible in HBA Anywhere, but do
not show up in device manager. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
NB 5.1 MP4
9940B drives (Emulex 9802 HBA)
AIX Master
Windows 2003 server media server