Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU Encryption Option

2006-11-27 07:48:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU Encryption Option
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 06:48:33 -0600
On 11/26/2006 9:36 PM, Tristan Ball wrote:
> We?re interested in adding the encryption option for Netbackup, and was
> hoping to hear back on anyone?s experiences, good or bad?

 From what I've read on this list, it's mostly bad.  If you have a very
small number of limitied clients that need to encrypt, and they have a
lot of extra CPU, then you can get away with it.  All of the encryption
is done on the client, and that data does not compress.  It's not
supported on all clients.

If you're serious about encrypting your data, the preferred solution is
to purchase an encryption appliance.  We bought a pair from Decru (now
NetApp) that encrypt at wire speed as well as compress the data.  It's a
lot more money than software-based encryption, but the latter wasn't
really an option for us.

Decru is the industry leader but there is another player in the game too
whose name escapes me right now.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA