Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle Backups

2006-11-16 16:20:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle Backups
From: wts at maine.edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:20:45 -0500
You may or may not want the "ALL" in the "DELETE ALL INPUT" referenced
below.

Let's say you have 2 copies of each archive redolog.  RMAN reads and
backs up from one of the two copies.  Without "ALL", RMAN deletes only
the archive redolog copy read; with "ALL", RMAN deletes both copies.

Some reasons for each:

* With "ALL" backup volume is reduced and space to hold the archive
redologs in the DB is minimized.

* Without "ALL", 1 copy of backed up archive redologs are left on disk,
presumably to be backed up and erased on the next backup job.  This
leaves 1 copy on the DB, should it be needed, and maintains 2 copies of
these vital files within the backup system.   I'd like to be able to
guarantee that my two copies get written to different tapes, but I don't
know how. :-(

Hope this helps!

cheers, wayne