Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media write error at NDMP (Yoseph Leleputra)

2006-11-10 14:00:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media write error at NDMP (Yoseph Leleputra)
From: KEagle at wilmingtontrust.com (Eagle, Kent)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:00:20 -0500
Yoseph,

Are you using Emulex LP11002 HBA's?

We had an issue with Status 84 errors on just our Master after a
firmware upgrade on our i2000. All HBA drivers and firmware had remained
the same.
The media server has LP9000's, and was fine! Frustrating!!!

The solution was to disable use of 16 byte CDB as a workaround. Please
see the following from Symantec support:
The doc lists AIT drives, but the solution worked with our FC LTO2 drive
environment.
FYI: We are not running NDMP, but experienced the symptom.

---
When running NetBackup 6.0, the following workaround can be applied to
disable the use of 16-byte CDB commands, by creating the following empty
file (Touch File):
<install_dir>\Volmgr\database\NO_SIXTEEN_BYTE_CDB
This will disable the use of 16-byte CDB commands. It will not be
necessary to restart NetBackup for these changes to take effect.  The
file will be read during the next backup or restore operation.

Good luck,

Kent C. Eagle
Systems Engineer, MCP, MCSE
Tech Services / SMSS