Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Recognise Media from NBU

2006-11-09 01:37:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Recognise Media from NBU
From: simon.weaver at astrium.eads.net (WEAVER, Simon)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 06:37:29 -0000
Paul
Ok, thats fine relying on the catalog (the application catalog?), but
probably not alot of help if the catalog is unavailable - assume this is the
case as I see the catalog as a single point of failure from a security /
audit perspective.

again, from security and audit, we do label the tapes Month number + the
month volume pool it comes from. This is essential, because I dont want to
be in the same boat as the other site, where they have thousands of tapes,
and do not seem to know what tapes belong to what backup client.

But yes (in fact I just posted this!) I did mention Activity Monitor (or the
restore progress window), and thought that would tell them the tape number
or numbers that are needed, but this was not met with great enthusiasm !

I do not wish to accomplish anything.... I was looking at a way of trying to
make their life easier to load tapes back into the library when a restore
from a certain tape is needed.

If we are saying that the use of Activity Monitor is better than sitting
down and labelling tapes, thats fine :-) I just wanted to be sure nothing
simple was being overlooked.

BTW, dont expect the catalog to be unavailable, but I would not rely on that
one source (especially if it was lost and unrecoverable!). I dont want to be
looking at a vault of 1000+ tapes to be imported !!

That would not be a fun job !

Regards

Simon Weaver
3rd Line Technical Support
Windows Domain Administrator

EADS Astrium Limited, B23AA IM (DCS)
Anchorage Road, Portsmouth, PO3 5PU

Email:  <mailto:Simon.Weaver at Astrium-eads.net> Simon.Weaver at
Astrium-eads.net