Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Status 156 on Windows client

2006-10-20 11:21:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Status 156 on Windows client
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:21:27 -0400
And, for what it's worth, most cases of 156 status codes we've seen
haveresulted from backing up two separate data streams from different
drivesthat snapshotted to each other.
On some servers we back up different drive letters via different"virtual
servers".....
Since a drive cannot write a snapshot on itself, they obviously write toa
different drive.
We've had two streams running where Drive L:\ wrote it's snapshot toDrive S:\
While S:\ was also backing up and writing it'ssnapshot......that seems to be
when we had the most errors.
Since we created a separate disk and forced all snapshots to that disk,(which
isn't otherwise backed up) we've very rarely had a 156.
Paul
--

> -----Original Message-----> From: WEAVER, Simon [mailto:simon.weaver at
> astrium.eads.net] > Sent: October 20, 2006 9:13 AM> To: Paul Keating;
> ida3248b at post.cybercity.dk; > veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu>
> Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] Status 156 on Windows client> > > > Paul> Remember,
> the steps outlined was to attempt that the backup > worked without> the 156.
> In fact, I recall many occasions that even the > Veritas guys would> suggest
> turning it off as a test to ensure the backup worked. > Using the NBU>
> problem report can give you an indication of any files that > were skipped.>
> You can then verify if these are genuine skipped files or > .tmp files that>
> are not required (and possibly exclude the files).> > But verify you need it,
> because as a rule, its turned on by default.> > Also, you may find the cache
> files are still left on your > machine - this can> result in lack of disk
> space on your Server. Please refer to Technote> article
> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270127.htm for > more details,> and ways
> of getting rid of the "locked" file.> > For normal file servers, I have found
> that turning it off, > not only reduces> the backup time, but kills an
> overhead that is not really required.> > And Yes, sorry I did mean turn "IT
> OFF" :-) Thanks for the > clarification> Paul
> :-)====================================================================================
La version fran?aise suit le texte anglais.
This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank
ofCanada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying
of thisemail or the information it contains by other than the intended
recipient isunauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it
immediately fromyour system and notify the sender promptly by email that you
have done so.
Le pr?sent courriel peut contenir de l'information privil?gi?e ou
confidentielle.La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y
rapportent. Toute diffusion,utilisation ou copie de ce courriel ou des
renseignements qu'il contient par unepersonne autre que le ou les destinataires
d?sign?s est interdite. Si vous recevezce courriel par erreur, veuillez le
supprimer imm?diatement et envoyer sans d?lai ?l'exp?diteur un message
?lectronique pour l'aviser que vous avez ?limin? de votreordinateur toute copie
du courriel re?u.