Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 9940B

2006-10-16 08:26:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 9940B
From: jack.l.forester at lmco.com (Jack Forester, Jr.)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:26:56 -0400
We've got a bunch of 9940B drives and use 262144 for SIZE_DATA BUFFERS.
Performance is very good.  When we eval'd the drives a couple of years
ago, I saw peak performance of 65MB/sec on really compressible data.
Our numbers vary widely depending on the nature of the data being backed
up.  From the docs I read, I believe the drive maxes out at 70MB/sec.

If you can feed the drives compressible data in a constant stream,
50MB/sec is not unreasonable.

I like the performance stats on the new T10000 drives, but I'm very
disappointed that they didn't build in read compatibility with the T9940
drives.  The carts are completely incompatible.  If we're going to have
to do a data migration if we get new drives, might as well look at LTO, too.

--
Jack L. Forester, Jr.
UNIX Systems Administrator, Stf