Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Using -Listpolicy with bplist.

2006-10-06 11:30:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Using -Listpolicy with bplist.
From: ddunham at taos.com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 08:30:38 -0700 (PDT)
Re: My attempt to use bplist for finding specific image files.

> If you receive something more useful, please share with the list. I have
> been battling with this for a while now.

Well, in my case, 'bpflist' turned out to be the most useful.  While
'bplist' looked like it might work, I couldn't easily tie it to specific
images.  The date range for bplist did not match the exact second of the
bpimage image.  Since I couldn't tie it to one image, that meant I might
get the "correct" file I needed anywhere in the output.  That increased
the complexity of looking for files considerably.  I'd either have to
guess which one I might need, or store them all to check with each of
the targets.

bpflist on the other hand could be handed a backupid/image, and the
output was very consistent (once others on the list showed me what
arguments were necessary).  With the image listed, the file I needed was
always the first one.  *much* simpler.

I don't know that I can hand out the code, but I can certainly tell you
what worked for me.

After some issues with NBU 6 and some of our configurations, I had quite
a few filesystems that did not have the correct end of month backup.
Combined with a few other issues, I wanted a quick way to see recent
full backup coverage for all policies.  Having Aptare in place would be
best, but I don't have that option at the moment.

My solution:
1) poll bppllist to create a hash of all clients, listing all targets
   (includes) for each client in an active policy that was neither a
   Vault nor a DB Catalog, nor some sort of agent.  (I suppose it might
   be easier to just look for Standard, Windows, and NDMP).

2) For each client at a time, gather a list of all active, FULL images
   in the last 28 days for the client via bpimagelist.

3) Given the image, use bpflist.  The second line of output should be
   the first file backed up.  Store in a hash (and as an added bonus,
   record the date of the image if it's more recent than any other image
   for that file).  Note the file listed by bpflist will likely end in a
   trailing '/', while the target may not.

4) Line up the policy targets and the visible files from the images.  I
   go through the target list formed from all the policies that the
   client was in one by one and see if a valid image listed that target
   as the first file.  If so, I print 'ok' and the date of the most
   recent full of that filesystem.  If there's no file that matches in
   the hash, I print 'MISSING'.

Works pretty well and easily notes that one filesystem target out of 8
is missing from a machine.  I don't have any windows hosts on this
server at the moment, so I haven't checked what 'bpflist' output is on
those images.  I might have swap some backslashes or something.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com