Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup Schedules - 3 Schedules in 1 Policy advice

2006-10-06 02:01:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup Schedules - 3 Schedules in 1 Policy advice
From: dave-bu at graniteweb.com (David Rock)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 01:01:06 -0500
* WEAVER, Simon <simon.weaver at astrium.eads.net> [2006-10-06 06:35]:

> All,
>
> NBU 5.1 MP2 Win2k Master + 2 SAN MS
> Morning! I am trying to work out a solution to trimming down all the
> policies I have. Presently, I have the following:-
>
> 1 x Policy for Month backups, which contains 1 Schedule. Schedule starts 7pm
> Fri and ends 7am Sat
>
> 1 x Policy for Weekly Backups, which contains 2 Schedules. 1 x Schedule is
> the Full Backup, starting 7pm Fri and ends 7am Sat.
> The next schedule is for Incr which take place 7pm - 10pm Mon, Tues, Wed and
> Thursday only.
>
> If I was to place the MONTHLY SCHEDULE (Copy / Paste) into the Weekly Backup
> Policy, would I get the Monthly and Weekly full backups trying to run at the
> same time?
>
> I am trying to work out the best way (and effecient) to ensure monthly runs
> on a set day only, but does not interfere with the regular weekly full
> backup.

Adding the Monthly schedule to the existing policy containing the Weekly
and Daily schedules will not result in both running at the same time.
Frequency based scheduling does just that, it give priority to the
schedule that runs on the _least_ frequent schedule.  So, if there is a
conflict between the Monthly and the Weekly, the Monthly will win.
Having them in separate policies _guarantees_ they will _always_ try to
run at the same time.  Having them in the _same_ policy is specifically
intended to manage it for you so they don't.  Of course, you will need
to play with it to make sure it does what you think it's supposed to do
:-)

--
David Rock
david at graniteweb.com