Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore windows permissions

2006-10-04 07:54:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore windows permissions
From: Layne.Barber at csd.disa.mil (Barber, Layne (Contractor))
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 06:54:16 -0500
 Modification: How to restore NT File System (NTFS) permissions only
(including recreating the share permissions) to an existing folder.

The NetBackup Backup, Archive and Restore user interface does not allow
you to restore just a folder or just the folder structure without
restoring some of the folder contents. This is a problem in the event
that the NTFS permissions were accidentally removed from a folder or
share, but the folder/share contents are intact. In this situation, the
administrator would only need to restore the folder/share permissions
and not some or all of the contents of that folder.

1. From command-line, use the bprestore command found at
<install_path>\NetBackup\bin\ to restore only the parent folder NTFS
permissions (and share permissions if applicable), while excluding all
subfolders and files.

bprestore -s <start_date> -e <end_date> <path_folder_to_be_restored\>
<!path_folder_to_be_restored\*>

Example (figure 1):
The following command restores a folder named 'test' to the root of the
C: volume, which was backed up between 1PM and 2PM on 2/5/2005, while
excluding everything contained inside the folder 'test':

bprestore -s 02/05/2005 13:00:00 -e 02/05/2005 14:00:00 C:\test\
!C:\test\*

Figure 1

2. If the folder restored was a share, the Windows 'Server' service must
be restarted for the share to become reactivated.

NOTE: If the parent folder already exists with subfolders and files
prior to restore, the restored parent folder permissions will not
automatically propagate down to existing subfolders and files.

NOTE 2: The drive letter, path, and files specified are case sensitive.
The specified drive letter must be upper case and the path and file
names must match exact case character for character or the job will
finish as "incomplete" Status 5, and this message will be listed in the
Activity Monitor | Job Details | Detailed Status tab:

The restore failed to recover the requested files(5)