Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restoring a 1TB filesystem with 7million

2006-10-03 00:20:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restoring a 1TB filesystem with 7million
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 00:20:35 -0400
> My bad.  If I'd been paying attention I might have mentioned chatr.
>
> FYI:  Its not necessary on 64 bit HP-UX.  What class of server are you
> running the 32 bit on?  Most servers since the HP 9000 K400
> have PA-RISC
> 2.x processors.  PA-RISC 2.x are all capable of running the 64 bit
> version of 11.11.

I believe the original poster _is_ running 64-bit HP-UX--it's the 32-bit
NetBackup that is the problem.

Actually, the problem really is HP's whacked memory scheme for 32-bit
apps running on 64-bit HP-UX.  There's an old HP white paper available
that describes the 1.75GB memory limit that 64-bit HP-UX imposes on any
32-bit app, how to use chattr (or recompile with magic flags) to raise
the limit to 2.75GB, or how to build the app to be able to use 3.75 (as
I remember) gig.  The usual symptom is running out of shared memory by
using huge buffer settings and getting status 89.  As far as I know, no
other Unix variant imposes this sort of 1.75GB straightjacket.

The only 64-bit HP-UX NetBackup version Veritas offers is 6.x for
Itanium.  No 64-bit 5.x and no 64-bit PA-RISC.