Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Client Hostnames

2006-09-30 10:24:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Client Hostnames
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 09:24:03 -0500
On 9/29/2006 11:44 AM, Hillman, Eric wrote:
> I may have found one issues when using aliases however. Can anyone
> confirm that you CANNOT use an alias of the server name when backing
> up an Exchange server/cluster?

I will confirm that you CAN use an alias.  We have a separate backup
interface on our Exchange servers and we're backing them up just fine
using that interface.  Different interface and different DNS entry to
point to it.

> From what I'm reading, the netbackup client needs to reference the
> Exchange application using the actual hostname used when installing
> Exchange in order to successfully access the specified storage
> groups.  This would mean that the actual hostname of the box needs to
> be added to the Netbackup Policy and not a "-backup" hostname.

This is false.

Almost everything in our environment is backed up via DNS entries
pointing to interface on a dedicated backup network.  The only
exceptions are very small, very old systems that don't have an extra nic
available and no room to put one.

     ../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA