Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup and VMWare Licencing

2006-09-19 11:22:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup and VMWare Licencing
From: SJACOBSO at novell.com (Scott Jacobson)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:22:12 -0600
Bobby,

Unfortunately what you've said about VMWare licensing is not correct.
Don't feel bad, there are "Symantec" sales folks who also don't
understand it.

Here is how the licencing works:

With one VMWare ESX Server and:

1. Five Windows Guests and the NetBackup client software installed on
each one you claim or account for the use of "one" Windows client
license.
2. Five Linux Guests and the NetBackup client software installed on
each one you claim or account for the use of "one" Linux client
license.
3. Five NetWare Guests and the NetBackup client software installed on
each one you claim or account for the use of "one" NetWare client
license.

If you also use the Traditional Method option to backup the ESX Server
itself, you would claim or account for the use of one more Linux client
license.

For the above, four licenses would be used in total.

Regards,
Scott

>>> Bobby Williams <bobbyrjw at bellsouth.net> 9/19/2006 6:55 AM >>>
The biggest drawback to using NetBackup for VMWare is the license.  You
have to have a license for the VMWare box and all of the Virtual systems
on it.

You could use the VMWare backup utility to back up to a NFS mounted
drive and put the data on a system that is being backed up the
NetBackup.

Bobby.