Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO3 minimums

2006-09-18 15:32:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO3 minimums
From: jroyer at digitalmotorworks.com (Joe Royer)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 14:32:31 -0500 (CDT)
Actually HP LTO3 drives (the best of any brand) can only slow down to
27MB/s.

I know about num and size data buffers, and I have an admittedly
small DSSU on SATA disk (1.5T).  I'm pretty comfortable with my current
setup with DSSU for incrementals and some Fulls and only the jobs that I
*know* are fast enough going directly to tape.  I have a Crossroads 10k
which is a pretty nice FC-SCSI bridge for driving only four LTO2 drives,
and can easily accomodate a pair of LTO3 drives in addition to its
current load.  I have done the math to limit two LTO2 drives (max
aggregate 120MB/s) to a single 2Gb FC connection (which should be able
to handle 160MB/s).

I'm mainly curious how others have addressed that 27MB/s minimum.  I'm
concerned that my Sun/STK FLX210 (250GB and 400GB) SATA array may not be
fast enough.  At least one person has mentioned a FC DSSU which I find
quite interesting.  With LTO2 and LTO3 drives costing the same, it's
getting harder to push back even if it does make the config more complex.

Does anyone have hard numbers?

Also, what about NDMP from a NetApp?  I have a 1.2TB filesystem on a
NetApp with about 20 million files in it (my main reason for going to
NDMP).  Will that FAS940 with 20million .jpg's be able to spin even an
LTO2 (let alone LTO3) fast enough?  I understand that NDMP is closer to
a ufsdump that a copy-one-file-at-a-time, but so far, the NetApp's
scalability above 7.5 million files has not impressed me.

Is anyone sending NDMP backups to a DSSU?  Or is the NetApp fast enough?
Are you able to measure it?

Thanks to Shyam Hazari for the throughput answer

bperror -all|grep "successfully read (duplicate)" |awk '{print $24}'

I never would have thought to read the error report looking for success :)

Write throughput can be scripted from this point.  The main trick is to
distinguish between de-staging a DSSU and Vault.  Anyone?  I'm hoping it
will be obivous tomorrow when I have some fresh Vault output.

Thanks for the great responses so far!

--
Joe Royer / SysAdmin / Digital Motorworks / 512-692-1028

attachments from your system.