Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Resolution of BMR restore problem to RH3 systems with FC cards

2006-09-15 11:45:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Resolution of BMR restore problem to RH3 systems with FC cards
From: spe08 at co.henrico.va.us (Spearman, David)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:45:58 -0400
The Problem

 Dell PE servers running RH3 with emulex 9000 fibre channel cards
connected to Clariion disk space. When running a BMR to a stand alone
system everything works as advertised. However if the system has an
Emulex 9000 card in it the BMR job would always fail since it reported a
PCI load order problem. Suppossedly this could be corrected by running a
special command at the boot prompt early in the process. That of course
did not work.

We contacted Veritas Support and got the following answer "It's not
supported",i.e., only Emulex 8000 cards  (obsolete) .

The Solution

 In the spirit of never say die we kept working this problem . Since BMR
worked perfectly fine restoring a Dell's internal system we thought
there must be a way around the fibre card problem. In fact there is.
Mind you this solution restores the internal drives only, and you do not
want to try and mount the external systems.

So ...how is it done

On your Boot Server you create the SRT(s) you will use. Once you have
finished that bit go to

\export\   srt   \yourSRT   \etc  and edit the rc.stage2 script

This is the script that has the disk checking section that forces the
failure. In particular go the section that begins

#

# Verify SCSI modules are loaded in the order we want.

#

And ends

            unset modulesLoaded modulesWanted module

 f i

Either delete or remark this entire section out. Then run your BMR in
the standard fashion choosing the SRT with the edited rc.stage2 script
and it will work. Since you have to select "restore system files only"
it will automaticaly comment out all external mount points in
/etc/fstab with the line "BMR" . You can edit these out, mount -a or
reboot. If for some reason you need to restore the external file systems
you can now do so in the usual manner.

David Spearman

County of Henrico, Va.