Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.0 Performance Very Slow

2006-09-11 12:08:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.0 Performance Very Slow
From: talldoode at cox.net (Dave)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:08:57 -0700
G.

If this is all SAN attached i.e. the disk is on the SAN attached to the
Media Server and the LTO3 are on the SAN and attached to the Media Server,
you should be seeing single stream performance of at least 15MB/sec at the
minimum.

Since you are only seeing 6MB/sec that sounds more like you are on 100Mbit
LAN connection trying to back up to the LTO3 drives but I may be wrong.

You can try using multiple streams of data but that may or may not help
depending on how the disk was laid out. You could end up overloading the
disk controllers if you set up too many streams on a partition that is only
comprised of 2 or 3 drives.

Performance tuning (increasing buffers and sizes) can give you about 10%
better back up speed, but if you are only getting 6MB/sec then something is
seriously wrong with your hardware strategy. Also, you don't mention if this
is Windows or Unix. This can affect your speed as well (Windows is
traditionally slower per stream) but even with Windows you should be getting
15 - 20MB/sec per stream if your hardware will support it.

Cheers,

d.

  _____