Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] TNICs?

2006-09-07 09:45:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] TNICs?
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 09:45:19 -0400
Have anyone done any testing with TOE Nics?  (TCIP Offload Engine)
Basically a "beefier" hardware Nic that does the packet disassembly in
the Nic w/ Hardware as opposed to waiting for the Software / OS.  We're
looking at outfitting our new Media servers with Quad Copper Gigabit TOE
Nics (PCIe/4) and I'm quite interested to see if the extra $1000 per nic
is worth the cost from a speed perspective.  I read on a whitepaper on
how 2 TOE Nics outperformed 4 gigabit nics in a pure data transmission /
speed test, but it didn't look terribly reliable.  I'm planning on
running several rounds of data performance testing of all my hardware
when the new hardware arrives, but I'm wondering if anyone here has done
any testing of their own?

-Jonathan