Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Q about status 134

2006-09-07 08:45:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Q about status 134
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:45:49 -0400
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ed Wilts [mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org]
> Sent: September 6, 2006 8:40 PM
> To: Paul Keating
> Cc: veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu
> Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Q about status 134
>

> The 134 "errors" aren't really errors

Yep, verified this both in that it doesn't increment the number of
"tries" with regard to the configured number of retries for a job, nor
does it show up as a failed action in Storage Console, so it's all good,
from a reporting perspective. However, from an operations view, we have
folks using the Activity Monitor, and it's more difficult to determine
what's actually going on when you've got all jobs listed as "Active"
with the little "Running Man" icon, rather than separating out the jobs
by listing those waiting as Queued, with the little "Dudes in a line up"
icon

 and this is one of the
> areas that
> has been addressed by the 6.0 scheduler.    So for now,
> ignore them if
> you can until 6.0 stabilizes.

Very cool. Glad it's been addressed. Not a major issue, just a tiny
annoyance.

> When we were at 5.1, we configured 6 tape drives per media
> server even
> though we had 3 servers trying to talk to a total 8 tape
> drives.  Sure
> we got a lot of 134s, but they didn't hurt anything.

Using SSO, I assume?
Did you ever run into a case where one media server hogged 6 drives, and
the other 2 each only had 1? Not exactly efficient load balancing.

The other question I had was regarding SSO and Inline Tape Copy.
I have 2 libraries and all jobs are written to both simultaneously.
I was worried about a situation where if one media server reserves a
drive from library A and another media server reserves a drive from
library B, then both media servers are each waiting to reserve a drive
from the other library before it can continue...but there are none
available.....wierd contention issue, but makes me wonder if SSO
wouldn't work well in that situation.

Paul