Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] vmoprcmd in a NBU 6 SSO environment

2006-09-05 18:52:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] vmoprcmd in a NBU 6 SSO environment
From: Aaron.J.Morrison at nab.com.au (Aaron.J.Morrison AT nab.com DOT au)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 08:52:20 +1000
Does anyone find vmoprcmd frustrating in an SSO environment?

Up until recently we have been using the StorageTek SN6000 to virtualise
our tape drives and so we haven't needed to worry about SSO. As this
product is end of life we're now begining to switch back to using SSO. In
netbackup 6 I am having to run vmoprcmd twice to get enough information to
up down tapedrives...

By the way, we run on Solaris Master and Media servers and the hostnames
below have been changed for security reasons. Our tape libraries are
controlled by ACSLS from StorageTek.

Here's an example below:

root at mediasvr2# vmoprcmd -d

                                PENDING REQUESTS

                                     <NONE>

                                  DRIVE STATUS

Drv Type   Control  User      Label  RecMID  ExtMID  Ready   Wr.Enbl.
ReqId
  0 hcart3   ACS               Yes   T00975  T00975   Yes     Yes        0

  0 hcart3   ACS               Yes   T00975  T00975   Yes     Yes        0

  1 hcart3   ACS               No            T00967   Yes     Yes        0

  1 hcart3   ACS               No            T00967   Yes     Yes        0

  2 hcart3   ACS               Yes   T00468  T00468   Yes     Yes        0

  2 hcart3   ACS               Yes   T00468  T00468   Yes     Yes        0

  3 hcart3 DOWN-ACS             -                     No       -         0

  3 hcart3 DOWN-ACS             -                     No       -         0

                             ADDITIONAL DRIVE STATUS

Drv DriveName            Shared    Assigned        Comment
  0 T10K_3_3_1_1          Yes      mediasvr1.domain
  0 T10K_3_3_1_1          Yes      mediasvr1.domain
  1 T10K_3_3_1_0          Yes      mediasvr2.domain
  1 T10K_3_3_1_0          Yes      mediasvr2.domain
  2 T10K_2_3_1_0          Yes      mediasvr2.domain
  2 T10K_2_3_1_0          Yes      mediasvr2.domain
  3 T10K_2_3_1_1          Yes      -
  3 T10K_2_3_1_1          Yes      -
root at mediasvr2#
root at mediasvr2#
root at mediasvr2# vmoprcmd

                           HOST STATUS
Host Name                                  Version   Host Status
=========================================  =======   ===========
nbumaster2                                 600000    ACTIVE-DISK
nbumaster                                  600000    ACTIVE-DISK
mediasvr1                                  600000    ACTIVE
mediasvr2                                  600000    ACTIVE

                                PENDING REQUESTS

                                    <NONE>

                                  DRIVE STATUS

Drive Name               Label   Ready  RecMID  ExtMID  Wr.Enbl.  Type
    Host                       DrivePath                            Status
T10K_2_3_1_0             Yes     Yes    T00468  T00468  Yes       hcart3
    mediasvr2                  /dev/rmt/0cbn                        ACTIVE
    mediasvr1                  /dev/rmt/3cbn                        ACS

T10K_2_3_1_1             No      No                     No        hcart3
    mediasvr2                  /dev/rmt/1cbn DOWN-ACS
    mediasvr1                  /dev/rmt/2cbn DOWN-ACS

T10K_3_3_1_0             No      Yes            T00967  Yes       hcart3
    mediasvr2                  /dev/rmt/3cbn                        ACTIVE
    mediasvr1                  /dev/rmt/1cbn                        ACS

T10K_3_3_1_1             Yes     Yes    T00975  T00975  Yes       hcart3
    mediasvr2                  /dev/rmt/2cbn                        ACS
    mediasvr1                  /dev/rmt/0cbn                        ACTIVE
root at mediasvr2# vmoprcmd -d -up 3
root at mediasvr2# vmoprcmd -d -up 3 -h mediasvr1

In the above example for each physical drive, the drive index is the same
but on one of the other environments one of the media servers has it's
drive indexes different so both commands need to be run to work out which
host has which drive down by drive index. I am thinking of wrapping a perl
script around vmoprcmd to combine the two to give more useful output.

Has anyone done something like this already?

regards,
Aaron

Aaron Morrison
Senior Technical Specalist
Storage Management

National Australia Bank
1/122 Lewis Rd Wantirna South 3152
Tel: (+61 3) 9886 2359 Mob: 0400104744
Fax: (+61 3) 98862700 email: aaron_morrison at nab.com.au

Please contact Storage Management Australia for all requests.

National Australia Bank Ltd - ABN 12 004 044 937
This email may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please immediately notify us at postmaster at nab.com.au or by
replying to the sender, and then destroy all copies of this email. Except where
this email indicates otherwise, views expressed in this email are those of the
sender and not of National Australia Bank Ltd. Advice in this email does not
take account of your objectives, financial situation, or needs. It is important
for you to consider these matters and, if the e-mail refers to a product(s),
you should read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement(s)/other disclosure
document(s) before making any decisions. If you do not want email marketing
from us in future, forward this email with "unsubscribe" in the subject line to
Unsubscriptions at nab.com.au in order to stop marketing emails from this
sender. National Australia Bank Ltd does not represent that this email is free
of errors, viruses or interference.