Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Archive bit and disk defrag tools

2006-08-30 09:07:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Archive bit and disk defrag tools
From: brooksje at longwood.edu (Brooks, Jason)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:07:08 -0400
Folks,
        Have you ever experienced a defrag utility resetting the archive
bit?  It appears that we may.  We had a server last night backup about
95% of it's file store on it's internal disk (defragged by diskkeeper)
while a SAN drive backed up about 5% (not managed by diskkeeper).  This
was all on a Differentil-Incermental schedule.  The client is set to use
the archive bit for differentials, so we're wondering if diskkeeper may
have reset the archive bit, or actually set it on numerous files, on
defrag.  Also, the defrag would have ran in-between backups.

Jason

Jason Brooks
Computer Systems Engineer
IITS - Longwood University