Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] >>NBU 5.1 MP4 bptm performance tuning<<

2006-08-26 15:53:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] >>NBU 5.1 MP4 bptm performance tuning<<
From: backupicici at gmail.com (Veritas Netbackup)
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 01:23:35 +0530
Hi,

Our netbackup master-media server a SF6900 with 4 dual core CPU's and 16 Gb
of memory is 100% utilized all the times. The only time it gets some respite
is during the afternoon, when users do not want to load their system with
backup processes.

Even with 20 Active backups our server indicates a minimum of 95 % util. I
checked ps -ef and found numerous bptm and bpsched processes.

How can we reduce the bptm processes??? I spoke to an ex-colleague and he
opined that we change the scheduler invocation to 20 mins from the default
10 mins in the global attributes. Since we have around 1000 policies and
hence the scheduler might not able to complete its first round and meantime
nbu would invoke another one. This overlapping he said shd be reduced.

Any suggestions to reduce CPU load on netbackup server, especially as to
what might be invoking these bptm processes??????

Regards,
PP BIJU KRISHNAN
Netbackup Team,
ICICI Bank Ltd.