Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DSSU Storage?

2006-08-19 22:33:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DSSU Storage?
From: Tristan.Ball at vsl.com.au (Tristan Ball)
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:33:26 +1000
I'm not sure if you've been watching the list much, but I'd actually
suggest staying with a NBU 5.1 installation, even for a new site, unless
there's something in 6.0 that you absolutely must have. And I wouldn't
normally be so negative about a piece of software, everything has bugs
after all, but these ones are keeping me up nights... :-)

We're still having problems with the scheduler in 6.0mp3, and I know of
several other sites that are too. And the problems are ugly, like jobs
failing to schedule (ie, no obvious errors, just not showing up in the
Activity monitor at all, which is harder to catch!), or my current
favourite, running different schedules for individual child jobs of a
single parent job, even when some of those schedules are nowhere near
being "in window" - days out in fact.

In regards to DSSU's, it really depends a lot on how long you'd like to
keep the data on disk for. I actually work at about 4 x Backup set size,
on the grounds that we want 2 x Full backups ("this" one + "last" one),
plus the incremental/differentials in between. To be honest, that's got
a little bit expensive for us, so I'm actually running at about 1.5x
backup set size, destaging to tape almost immediately, and expiring the
images from disk straight away. Instead of NBU, we're relying on
filesystem snapshots for "day to day" end user recovery, and using the
tapes purely for DR & emergencies.

I would also recommend that you have a look at Netbackup Vault, if you
can. Running DSU's + Vault has actually proven very effective for us,
and it's more flexible in it's destaging options that a plain DSSU.

Regards,
        T.

---
Tristan Ball