Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpgp ?

2006-08-15 07:52:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpgp ?
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:52:27 -0500
On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 12:35:03PM +0100, Clooney, David wrote:
> Trying to rollout an upgrade of  x number of solaris clients , the
> problem I have is the SA'a want to simply remove the package and then
> add the new, which will detroy any exclude_lists
> out there in the environment.

Teach your admins that removing the exclude_lists will be bad for their
health :-).  Not only is removing those files bad, but they could wiping
out files like NET_BUFFER_SZ, etc.

> I use bpgp quite a bit in secured environments and find very useful
> indeed, albeit I have seen technotes in the past it cause issues I have
> yet to have a prob in the last 4 years.
>
> Problem is that you have to know the specific file you are after on the
> client, has anyone incorpated wildcards in some sort of way or fashion
> to bring down say,
> exclude* ??

You could do a restore to each of the new clients...  A restore can use
wildcards.  Alternatively, do a bpdir before they upgrade to get the
list (including the special files), bpgp to pull the files, and then
bpgp after the upgrade to put them back.

Personally, I like the restore approach - build up a template which
includes all of the special files in your environment plus the pattern
for the exlude files, and as soon as the upgrade is done, run the
restore.

I do have to ask though, why don't you just push out the upgrade from
the master?   Push outs work very well to Unix boxes...  No work
required at all from the admins (so they can't screw it up).

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org