Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO Gen3 read LTO Gen2 tapes

2006-08-09 17:17:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO Gen3 read LTO Gen2 tapes
From: tlewick at hrblock.com (Lewick, Taylor)
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 16:17:36 -0500
I have been told repeatedly that Ultrium LTO3 drives can read LTO2 tapes
for restores.

Today we actually have a reason to try this.  Out LTO3 drives are in one
tape library, the LTO2s at another at a different location.

We need to do the restore where the LTO3 drives are located.

We configured the the drives using shared storage option, and the LTO3s
are configure to use media of HCART3, and the LTO2s are configured to
use media of HCART2.

We loaded the tapes in and tried the restore, but it is failing with
requested number of drives are not available.

Do we need to temporarily change one of the LTO3 drives to be of type
HCART2?  We are thinking that's all we need to do.

Thanks,
Taylor