Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] New 6.0MP3 Master server, old 5.1MP3 Media server

2006-08-08 09:23:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] New 6.0MP3 Master server, old 5.1MP3 Media server
From: KEagle at wilmingtontrust.com (Eagle, Kent)
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 09:23:45 -0400
I haven't been able to find the answer to this question in the SAG...

We have an existing windows 5.1MP3 environment with 1 Master and 1 Media
server. We are tossing our catalog (only 2 weeks right now) so we don't
intend to do an NBPushdata. We want to take the existing Master off the
network, then build a 6.0MP3 Master server on new hardware using the
same IP address and DNS name, "discovering" the Media server and storage
units.

Because of a short maintenance window, we want to then take the new
Master off the network, and put the old one back in service until the
next maintenance window. This will allow us to rebuild the policies
against all needed storage units, volume pools, etc. off line. We'll add
the clients into the policies during the next maintenance window.

We've know how to handle all the WWN/alias parameters in the fabric, and
can deal with the changing windows SID, and MAC addrs for the NIC's.
What I need to ensure is that the 5.1MP3 media server will still be
viable after the new Master is built if the old 5.1 Master has to go
back into play if things go bad or we run out of time.

We intend to create the volume group and pools on the new server (so
they can be added to the policies off line), but do not want to add any
volumes to ensure the Media servers (or old Master server, if it has to
be re-instated) media manager database doesn't get confused. How does an
NBU 6.0MP3 Master handle the volumes assigned to an 5.1MP3 Media server?
Does the 6.0 Master take "ownership", or does the 5.1MP3 media still
have it's database?

Thank you,

Kent C. Eagle
Systems Engineer, MCP, MCSE
Tech Services / SMSS
keagle at wilmingtontrust.com

Visit our website at www.wilmingtontrust.com

Investment products are not insured by the FDIC or any other governmental
agency, are not deposits of or other obligations of or guaranteed by Wilmington
Trust or any other bank or entity, and are subject to risks, including a
possible loss of the principal amount invested. This e-mail and any files
transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or proprietary information.
It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity who is the
intended recipient.  Unauthorized use of this information is prohibited.  If
you have received this in error, please contact the sender by replying to this
message and delete this material from any system it may be on.