Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Master Server Hostname Change

2006-08-04 04:29:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Master Server Hostname Change
From: david.clooney at bankofamerica.com (Clooney, David)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 09:29:51 +0100
All

you wont believe it but I'm still investigating the master server
hostname change and need some advice as to where else something could go
wrong.Now i know this is possible and everyone mentions that Symantec PS
should be pulled in to complete otherwise unsupported and this I
realise. What I'm trying to do is validate the expense in order to get
the PS work approved so here goes, the new master is identical to the
current with nothing active at all. I know this is not as simple as it
seems however am trying to get an outline.

The problem we have is if we go the importing route this would take us 9
months.

Scenario is the domain the master was bulit in is going to be
discontinued and we can't stop it ( and host file options are ruled out
too) , additionally the master was bulit with a fqdm which I tend to
disagree with.

the db's to worry about are

Image db:    As this is a flat file directory structure this can be
copied and then manipulated for the images to reflect the new server
                  bpimage: -newserver <name> [-oldserver <name>] [-id
<id>]

PoolDB:      can be copied as flat file

PolicyDB:   once again flat file structure, straight copy

MediaDB:    the media db can too be manipulated to reflect the new
server and this I have tested, so now no  "FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER"
is required on the old server.
                  bpimage: -newserver <name> [-oldserver <name>] [-id
<id>]
                  Question , once this is done and the mediaDB is copied
over , would Netbackup then know of the images resident on media ??

VolDB:        This is the problem child in my opinion, one because its
distibuted and two because there is no real way of manipulating it ,
suggestions would be most welcome
                  Sure it can be copied over, but no doubt would need
some changing.
                  Once volume is added , assignbyid with allocation time
which can be retrieved from bpmedialist -L

Globdb:       this can be recreated quite easily

If anyone knows of anything I'm missing please let me know.

Much appreciated

David Clooney

Notice to recipient:
The information in this internet e-mail and any attachments is confidential and
may be privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the
intended addressee please notify the sender immediately by telephone. If you
are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
unlawful.

When addressed to external clients any opinions or advice contained in this
internet e-mail are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in any
applicable governing terms of business or client engagement letter issued by
the pertinent Bank of America group entity.

If this email originates from the U.K. please note that Bank of America, N.A.,
London Branch and Banc of America Securities Limited are authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority.