Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape drive 800 and 252 status error

2006-08-03 16:09:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape drive 800 and 252 status error
From: Michael.Sponsler at ngc.com (Sponsler, Michael)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:09:16 -0400
I have a san media server (netbackup 6.0), and I'm having trouble with
it's tape driver.  Mind you that this tape drive is physically located
in the UK (scotland), and I'm here in the US (washington dc).  The media
server (sun v210, solaris 8) has a quantum dlt600 16 slot robot/tape
drive on it.  Server / tape robot connected via scsi.  It had previously
a quantum dlt320 on it, but was replaced with the dlt600.  I had the
same issues with the dlt320.

Basically, I start a backup, the resources (tape robot) are requested
and granted.  Bpbrm is started, it connects and it attempts to mount a
tape (I was able to inventory the tapes in the robot).  When it says
"mounting XXXXX" I get the following:

Error bptm (pid=xxxx) error requesting media, TpErrno - Robot operation
failed
Warning bptm (pid =xxxx) media id XXXXX load opeartion reported an error
Current media XXXX complete, requested next media Any
Error bptm NBJM returned an extended error status: resource request
failled (800)
End writing
An extended error status has been encountered, check detailed status
(252)

The tape robot that had previously been UP is now DOWN.  If I UP the
robot, the backup fails again, and the robot goes into the DOWN state.

This was happening with the DLT320, so I replaced it with a new DLT600.
These are new tapes.  I'm not experiencing this problem any where else.
Anyone have any ideas??

--
Mike Sponsler
Michael.Sponsler