Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restoring entire servers (Windows)

2006-08-02 00:27:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restoring entire servers (Windows)
From: Tim.Wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au (Wilkinson, Tim)
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 14:27:21 +1000
I'm just reviewing disaster recovery at the moment and have found a
paragraph or 2 recommending that all system files and application files
are backed up. We generally run A_L_D in our policies 'just in case' but
I've been thinking about restoring system and application files and
wonder how most people approach this sort of thing.
We don't use BMR so I figure the best way to restore an entire server is
to rebuild the OS, install any applications then restore actual 'data';
I've always considered if you try to restore 'everything' it could get a
bit messy and confused if some of it doesn't get restored exactly as it
was before.
Without using BMR, can you restore the contents of an entire server in
Windows (I'm talking the whole show including system files, system_state
data, applications and everything)?

Cheers,

        Tim Wilkinson
        I.T. Support Officer
        Science Corporate Information Systems
        Defence Science & Technology Organisation
        Department of Defence

        Tel: (02) 96921484
        Fax: (02) 96921562
        Email: tim.wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au