Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Duplicates in bpmedialist.

2006-07-24 16:46:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Duplicates in bpmedialist.
From: ddunham at taos.com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:46:29 -0700 (PDT)
> The big problem is that with two media servers thinking they both own
> the same tape, they'll each go through and happily overwrite the other's
> images. I've seen a tape marked as FULL on one media server and barely
> used on a second - not pretty.

If both servers had any data at all on this tape, I would agree.  But
one of the media servers shows the volume as empty (and FROZEN) and no
time for last update.  So it appears to have never touched the volume
since its allocation.  The other media server allocated (and used) the
volume later.

So in this particular case, I'm relatively certain that the volume is
valid.  The first media server won't have touched the FROZEN volume.
Also, since the media list shows the volume empty anyway, getting that
server to drop the info shouldn't lose any data.

 id     rl  images   allocated        last updated      density  kbytes restores
           vimages   expiration       last read         <------- STATUS ------->
0053L2   3      0   02/29/2004 00:00      N/A           hcart2         0       0
                0       N/A               N/A           FROZEN

The other server shows the volume allocated in November 2004

> Your best bet is going to be to expire the tape contents on each media
> server (so the catalog is consistent again) and then import the tape
> back into the catalog (from the server of your choice). Alternately, you
> could run a media contents report against it and delete every image the
> media servers showed except the ones on the report. Little easier to
> mess that up though.

My first media server shows the volume as having 0 KB on it.  So I'm
assuming there are no images to delete from its point of view.

Running 'bpimmedia -mediaid <media>' shows only the second media server
name for any of the images.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com