Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exporting GUI to Linux

2006-06-26 17:32:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exporting GUI to Linux
From: dave-bu at graniteweb.com (David Rock)
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:32:00 -0500
* Kevin Enslow <kspam at comcast.net> [2006-06-26 12:15]:
> I'm trying to export the jnbSA to a linux box I use as my desktop and
> the login screen doesn't render fully. I'm forwarding my XSessions over
> ssh and that is working fine. Here is my environment:
>
> Headless Solaris 8 Master/Media server
> Gentoo Linux w/KDE
>
> I know the X11 Forwarding is configured correctly since I can start an
> xterm session and the login screen pops up on my desktop. jnbSA works
> fine when I export it on a windows box with cygwin.
>
> Has anyone come across this? any suggestions on how to get jnbSA working
> on linux?

Sounds a lot like my config.  What errors (if any) are you getting?  Are
you running jnbSA from within a terminal window to catch stderr output?

One ugly fix I found was to run a VNC session locally and run jnbSA
within that.  So, run vncserver on your local gentoo box, then run
vncviewer localhost :1(or whatever).

There appears to be some kind of font-related issue, especially on
gentoo systems, where direct Xforwarding doesn't work right.  I have not
found out exactly what it is yet.  It may also be a bitdepth issue.

--
David Rock
david at graniteweb.com