Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] import requirements (was: 3 Quest...)

2006-06-07 06:20:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] import requirements (was: 3 Quest...)
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 06:20:43 -0400
> Thanks. I am extremely serious about DR, but wanted to
> clarify if the phase 1 import process was going to look
> for the volume pool the tape originally came from.

You're welcome.  Think about it logically--your data center doesn't
exist any more, and perhaps that includes you.  Somebody you never met
is at a DR site in East Rutabaga with your previously off-sited tapes.
What, in NetBackup, requires knowledge of pool assignments to restore?
Nothing.

> If phase 1 works ok, and phase 2 completes, where does the
> tape get stored and in which volume?

Um, work backwards on this one, too.  To specify tape SW1234 to any
NetBackup command, what did you have to do before that?  You had to add
it to NetBackup's volume inventory, didn't you?  Can you do that without
the tape being in a pool?

Okay, now:  if you tell me what pool you added it to, I'll tell you what
pool it will be in before, during and after the imports.  :-)

BBP (Bob's Best Practices) says that, for any non-trivial import, you
should create a pool that identifies the purpose and segregates the
tapes.  In a datacenter consolidation, server relocation or DR import,
the single pool name used at the other datacenter (if you follow the BBP
of using a single pool) would be a good candidate.  Once the tape is
imported, "IMPORTED" is the status you'll see in an available_media
report.

There's no substitute for experience.  Just create a tape with some test
data, delete it and go through the inventory/import process to see how
it works.