Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Moving from HP-UX till SUSE SLE 9.

2006-05-29 11:08:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Moving from HP-UX till SUSE SLE 9.
From: bobbyrjw at bellsouth.net (Bobby Williams)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 11:08:43 -0400
Actually, you DON'T want to name your SUSE server the same name.  That way
you can let most of your media expire while both systems are on the net.
Leave the old library attached to the HP system during this time.  If
someone needs a restore from data prior to the cutover date (which should be
well announced), they would know to look at images on the HP server.  For
restores after the cutover date, they look to the SUSE.

After the 30 days:

Only copy /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images over to the SUSE box (also any
special scripts in the bin directory).  In the bp.conf, use:

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = <old server> <NEW Server>

All restores now come from SUSE.  The SUSE knows what tapes are in the
library (but can't write to them since they are only inventoried, not
imported).

This procedure is outlined in a document on Veritas' web site.  It is laying
on my desk, but I am at home.  I use this procedure to migrate (but have
stuck with Solaris to Solaris migrations).  It is also part of our DR
procedure which has passed SOX audits and DR tests.

Bobby Williams
2205 Peterson Drive
Chattanooga, Tennessee  37421
423-296-8200