Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Unix policy's

2006-05-26 09:53:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Unix policy's
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 09:53:15 -0400
I use "cross mount points" but do not select "follow NFS"

since SAN volumes that are direct attached can typically** only be read
by a single host, the host that is attached will backup that volume, as
it is seen by the system as local, not NFS.....if a volume is seen my
multiple hosts, it is usually mounted by those hosts as an NFS share, so
the "follow NFS" options turned off takes care of that.....the NFS share
if from a UNIX host is backed up via that host, and if from a Data mover
type NAS gateway, is backed up via NDMP.

so basically, most of my unix policies read only "/" in the backups
selections list, and have "cross mount points" but NOT "follow NFS"
selected.

Paul
** in cases where a SAN LUN is shared between two systems, as in a
global filesystem shared between the nodes of a cluster, that data is
backed up only once, via the virtual server name that fails over from
node to node, so in any situation, that FS is available to backup only
via the physical node that is hosting the clustered service.
In this case, the "virtual service" has a policy that explcitly
specifies the path that fails over, and the physical cluster nodes have
a separate policy which explicitly specify the non-shared local
filesystems to backup on each physical node.