Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1 MP4 - Windows clients generating big VSP files

2006-05-26 05:27:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1 MP4 - Windows clients generating big VSP files
From: william.d.brown at gsk.com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 10:27:27 +0100
Yes, we found that any system that had VSP installed started trying to use
VSP, as the VSP_USE registry key is no longer used or honoured.  The
toggle for "Windows Open File Backup" (WOFB) has moved to the client
database on the Master Server.   Of course if VSP works it may not cause
an immediate problem, but if the backup fails the VSP files are left
behind.  These filled disks, causing business folk to be unable to work as
their disks were full.

Usually you can get rid of these if you stop the right processes on the
client, but they may be locked until the next reboot, which is not usually
popular with the business.

We had to identify which systems had VSP installed, and manually add them
to the client database (well OK you can script it) with WOFB disabled.
That solves it nicely.

Here is a VBscript we used to check the remote registries:

<snip>
' VB Script Document
option explicit
Const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001
Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002
Const INDENT = 35
Const kForReading = 1

Dim strComputer
Dim strPath
Dim objFSO
Dim objTextFile
Dim StrLine
Dim strArrLine

Sub Get_VSP_Setting(strComputer)

Dim objReg
Dim strKeyPath
Dim strEntryName
Dim strValue
Dim strVersion
Dim iRetVal

Set objReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & _
 strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")
If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    WScript.Echo "Error Source -> " & Err.Source
    Wscript.Echo strComputer & " " & Err.Description
    Err.Clear
Else
    strKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion"
    strEntryName = "VERSION"
    iRetVal=objReg.GetStringValue
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strKeyPath,strEntryName, _
                                  strValue)
    if Not IsNull(strValue) Then
        strVersion = strValue
        strKeyPath = "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSP"
        strEntryName = "DisplayName"
        iRetVal=objReg.GetStringValue
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strKeyPath,strEntryName, _
                                      strValue)
        if Not IsNull(strValue) Then
            strKeyPath =
"SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config"
            strEntryName = "VSP_Use"
            iRetVal=objReg.GetStringValue
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strKeyPath,strEntryName, _
                                          strValue)
            if Not IsNull(strValue) Then
                Wscript.Echo strComputer & space(INDENT-Len(strComputer))
& _
                "Version " & strVersion & " VSP is installed; VSP_Use: " _
                & strValue
            Else
                Wscript.Echo strComputer & space(INDENT-Len(strComputer))
& _
                "Version " & strVersion & " VSP is installed; VSP_Use not
defined"
            End If
        Else
            Wscript.Echo strComputer & space(INDENT-Len(strComputer)) & _
            "Version " & strVersion & " VSP not installed"
        End If
    Else
        Wscript.Echo strComputer & space(INDENT-Len(strComputer)) & _
        "NetBackup not found or not installed as expected"
    End If
End If

End Sub

'Main--------------------------------------------------------------------'
on error resume next
strPath = "targets.txt"
If objFSO.FileExists(strPath) Then
    Set objTextFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile(strPath, kForReading)
    Do Until objTextFile.AtEndOfStream
        strLine = objTextFile.Readline
        strArrLine = Split(strLine)
        Get_VSP_Setting(strArrLine(2))
    Loop
Else
    WScript.Echo "Cannot find input file " & strPath
End If
<snip>

It requires a file in the current directory called 'targets.txt' with the
server names to check, one per line.  Of course the current Windows
account must have the necessary access on all the remote systems do do
this registry read.

To run the VBS use cscript:

cscript //nologo Check_for_VSP.vbs

And yes, that is //

The output goes to the standard output, so you can either redirect it or
just capture it from the terminal window.

It also tells you the NetBackup version found.

William D L Brown

"Julio Duarte de Assis Dezan" <jdezan at diveo.net.br>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces at mailman.eng.auburn.edu
25-May-2006 22:57

veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1 MP4 - Windows clients generating big VSP files

Guys,
After we upgrade from NBU 4.5 MP9 to 5.1 MP4 we?re having some problems
with MS Windows clients and big VSP files.
Did anyone have this problem with version 5.1 MP4?
I also saw that some drives that are in the exclude list generate VSP
files. Is it correct?

If I disable the generation of VSP, Will I lose the open files backups
such as windows registry files?

Thanks,
Julio
Veritas-bu maillist  -  Veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu