Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Path Restrictions for Windows Backups

2006-05-24 18:14:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Path Restrictions for Windows Backups
From: kfhemness at ucdavis.edu (Kathryn Hemness)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 15:14:39 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings,

I've an issue with a large backup (200GB) of a Windows 2003 server behind a
firewall.  There are other large Windows 2003 servers behind the same
firewall whose backups do not have issues.  For the particular problem server,
I've found a path whose backups consistently fail with the following errors:

FTL - tar file write error (10054)
media manager terminated by parent process
EXIT STATUS 14 (file write failed)
exited with status 14 (file write failed)

These errors never occur on the same path name.

When I configure the policy to backup the root directory, D:\ and exclude the
problematic directory with an exclude_list, the backup still fails with the
same errors.

However, if I configure the policy for mult-streaming and list paths using
wildcards in each stream,  the backup of each stream works.

At this point I'm guessing that there's something in the file/directory naming
on this server which is causing problems when NetBackup is building the list
of files to be backed up.  The pathnames of the many files on this server are
200 characters many having filenames with 14 spaces between words.   I
haven't been able to find out if there are any files containing non-printing
characters.

Does NetBackup have a path-length limit for files to be backed-up?  Or does
NetBackup
have a restriction on special characters  or the number of consecutive spaces
between words
in a filename?

--kathy