Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DSSU, duplications, lions, tigers, bears, et. al.

2006-05-22 20:27:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DSSU, duplications, lions, tigers, bears, et. al.
From: DDobbs at mutualmaterials.com (Dan Dobbs)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 17:27:59 -0700
Greetings, all.

I'm trying to figure out a way to do duplications for offsite using
disk staging. Sounds easy, right?

In the past, when I had a huge backup window and multiple slow tape
drives, I'd run two copies of the same job, simultaneously, and manually
change the retention of copy #2 and send it offsite. Now, we have one
SDLT320 bot (we're running RH AS4, Veritas NBU 5.1). I thought I could
send multiple copies as I had previously, just one to the 'bot and one
to disk staging, and the disk staging would catch up on Monday and life
would be ducky.

It would appear that there's a hitch.

The backups won't relocate to tape. I'm guessing that the reloc job
fires up, and it says, 'hey now, I already have two copies, I'm done!',
but I'd be the first to say that it's just my wild guess.

I'm worried that it won't clean up after itself (there are no .ds files
present), and I still don't have a foolproof solution. I guess I could
just change the retention for the disk stage to one week, so it would
(ideally) expire before the next week's backup (did I mention that it's
our primary file server, and the backups are pretty large?), but that
seems to be a little extreme.

I bow to your collective wisdom.

Cheers,

-dd