Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAN backups

2006-05-22 11:04:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAN backups
From: austin.murphy at gmail.com (Austin Murphy)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 11:04:53 -0400
I think your first step would be to put your master server and tape
library on the SAN.
Then you would need 1 SSO license and 1 SAN Media Server license.  You
may be able to upgrade your library with a Fibre to SCSI router so the
tape drives don't need to be upgraded to Fibre.

2TB in 12 hours ain't bad.  That works out to about 47MB/sec.    With
a beefy CPU and compressible data you might be able to triple that
speed.    The HP LTO3 drive maxes out around 160MB/sec COMPRESSED
(80MB/sec written on tape).   If you can't get the proper compression
or just want even faster backups, you may want to backup to 2 tape
drives simultaneously.   This would require another SSO license and
assumes that the disks can serve up data that fast to begin with.

Austin