Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Symantec and Linux support

2006-05-16 12:46:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Symantec and Linux support
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 11:46:54 -0500
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 12:05:51PM -0400, Paul Keating wrote:
> Honestly though, that smacks of management thinking Linux is free (as in
> beer) rather than free (as in speech.)

Not my management.

> Any question like that coming from mgmt is usually related to percieved
> dollar savings.

The perceived dollar savings is typically in the hardware, not the
software.  We pay as much, if not more, for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
subscriptions than we do for our Microsoft Windows licenses - it's all
the add-ons to Windows that really kill you.  When comparing hardware
though, Intel-based systems are cheaper than Sparc-based systems.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org