Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Policy Issue - Frequency Based Scheduling

2006-05-15 10:27:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Policy Issue - Frequency Based Scheduling
From: nbu.admin AT gmail DOT com (Steve)
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 09:27:04 -0500
------=_Part_57000_3381837.1147703224804

I have used both of your solutions before and wanted to add some info that =
have found. If I am using Freq. based schedules I always set my Freq to be
just larger than the backup window to try and avoid problems like this. For
example on Weekly backups that are open all day Sat (24 hours) I set my Fre=
to 26 hours. (Or better set my freq to 24 and only open the backup window
for 23 hours) This allows my backup to run on Sat even if I perform a manua=
on Friday afternoon. But it stops it from running twice on Sat.

I do the same thing on daily backups. If the policy is open from 7PM to 7AM
I set the freq to 13 hours. Now this can cause some issues do to the
difference between interval and Freq scheduling. Please note that Interval
and Freq are two types of processing but both are part of Freq based
schedules

Frequency based Sched vs Interval

Interval =3D 24 hour frequency(24 hours, 1 day, 7days ect.)

Frequency =3D Any non-24 hour frequency (12 hours, 27, hours 80 hours ect.)

If Interval mode scheduling is used the time of the backup is calculated
from when the windows was initially open. So if the window opens for a
class-sched at 8pm on a Monday and the frequency is 24 hours but the backup
does not start until Midnight the job will be available to run at 8pm the
next day. But if the sched was setup to run every 26 hours then that same
job would not be available to run until 2am the next day.

Hope that helps

Steve

On 5/15/06, Martin, Jonathan (Contractor) <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com> wrote:

> I realize this is more of a "philosophical" question and apologize in
> advance.
>
> After auditing a few backup servers for a couple of weeks now, I've come
> to realize that if a certain weekly backup job fails on any given day,
> and I re-run it manually during the day/week following that it does not
> fire off again next "week"!  Why?  Because (according to Veritas) when
> the job schedule triggers, it finds the last successful backup (of that
> schedule) was within the last week, and does not "need" to fire.  This
> is the way 99% of my full backups are scheduled.
>
> Example -
>
> Full Backup Scheduled Tuesday Night at 8:00PM - 3 month retention -
> Frequency Based Scheduling - 1 week.  If it fails and I rerun it on
> Wednesday then it doesn't fire the next Tuesday, because its run in the
> past 7 days. =3D/
>
> Anyhow, how are people working around this "issue."  I've come up with
> two possible solutions.
>
> 1 - Calendar based scheduling for "every week" on Tuesday
> 2 - Change my frequency to 2 or 3 days - assuming the window only opens
> that one day.
>
> Ideas?
>
> -Jonathan

------=_Part_57000_3381837.1147703224804

at I have found. If I am using Freq. based schedules I always set my Freq t=
o be just larger than the backup window to try and avoid problems like this=
. For example on Weekly backups that are open all day Sat (24 hours) I set =
my Freq to 26 hours. (Or better set my freq to 24 and only open the backup =
window for 23 hours) This allows my backup to run on Sat even if I perform =
a manual on Friday afternoon. But it stops it from running twice on Sat.=20
7AM I set the freq to 13 hours. Now this can cause some issues do to the di=
fference between interval and Freq scheduling. Please note that Interval an=
d Freq are two types of processing but both are part of Freq based schedule=
s=20
t.)</p>
 from when the windows was initially open. So if the window opens for a cla=
ss-sched at 8pm on a Monday and the frequency is 24 hours but the backup do=
es not start until Midnight the job will be available to run at 8pm the nex=
t day. But if the sched was setup to run every 26 hours then that same job =
would not be available to run until 2am the next day.=20
Martin, Jonathan (Contractor)</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email protected]=
om">JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com</a>&gt; wrote:</span>
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid"><br>I realize this is more of a =
r auditing a few backup servers for a couple of weeks now, I've come
br>and I re-run it manually during the day/week following that it does not<=
br>fire off again next &quot;week&quot;!&nbsp;&nbsp;Why?&nbsp;&nbsp;Because=
 (according to Veritas) when
re.&nbsp;&nbsp;This<br>is the way 99% of my full backups are scheduled.<br>=
 it on<br>Wednesday then it doesn't fire the next Tuesday, because its run =
in the
ot;issue.&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;I've come up with<br>two possible solutions.<br>=
2 - Change my frequency to 2 or 3 days - assuming the window only opens
____________________________<br>Veritas-bu maillist&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nbsp=
;<a href=3D"mailto:Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu">Veritas-bu AT
mailman DOT en=
g.auburn.edu</a><br>
div><br>

------=_Part_57000_3381837.1147703224804--