Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Can't unfreeze tapes?

2006-05-14 21:23:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Can't unfreeze tapes?
From: CJManders AT lbl DOT gov (Christopher Jay Manders)
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 18:23:27 -0700
I suspect that it was available_media that shows them as frozen.

If there are no images on the media then they will not show up in
bpmedialist (tho probably they do appear using vmquery).  I would
suspect something causing the tapes to freeze before they could be
written to. I'd check you logs. In the UNIX world it would be
/var/adm/messages that would likely have an error show up for the FREEZE
action. Or, check your bptm log on the media server where the tapes reside.

We have seen this happen for many reasons, too. Like...an LTO3 tape
going into an LTO1 drive because someone accidentally labeled the tapes
with an LTO1 label....Just one 'for instance' that I have seen.

hth

Cheers!

--Chris