Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] hanging bpbkar process

2006-05-09 16:11:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] hanging bpbkar process
From: nbu.admin AT gmail DOT com (Steve Cashman)
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 15:11:22 -0500
------=_Part_32841_21943164.1147205482231

Often times the Media / Master server encounters and error and exits but
cant notify the Client (they don't even attempt to) It sounds like you have
at least some logs enabled on the Media server since you mention that you
reviewed the Bpbrm log. So review the Media Server logs to see if you can
get more information. What I often have seen is a network disconnect betwee=
the Client and the Media Server. This stops the backup as far as Bpbrm is
concerned but Bpbkar does not know about it, he just keeps churning through
data until he is done.

If this only happens on single client then it maybe something like a bad
port, Nic, Driver ect. If it only happens on one Policy but other policies
for that same client fail then you have a mystery on your hands. If you can
post the relevant logs so we can browse them a bit (Bpbrm, Bpbkar, Bptm to
start I would think)
Steve
Hope that helps

On 5/9/06, Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz.backup AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> mkdir /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpbkar on the client, add VERBOSE =3D 5
> to the bp.conf and watch the logs, also you can make a lot of logging
> directories on the server as well and tail them when the problematic
> client is backing up/etc.
>

> On 5/9/06, Aaron Mills <aaron.mills AT returnpath DOT net> wrote:
> >

> > I had a backup timeout yesterday. bpbrm timed out after the configured
> > interval (3 hours), but when I check to see what happened to the client
> > process, bpbkar is still running (client/server on the same box) - it
> just
> > hasn't done anything since three hours before the job timed out. The
> bpbkar
> > log doesn't show anything useful. The process hums along and then just
> stops
> > logging all of the sudden. This always seems to happen on the same job,
> > though - never any others.
> >
> > Any ideas on where else I should look here?
> >
> >         -Aaron
> >
> > Aaron Mills
> > System Administrator
> > Return Path, Inc.
> > 303.642.4111
> > aaron.mills AT returnpath DOT net
> > http://www.returnpath.biz

------=_Part_32841_21943164.1147205482231

 cant notify the Client (they don't even attempt to) It sounds like you hav=
e at least some logs enabled on the Media server since you mention that you=
 reviewed the Bpbrm log. So review the Media Server logs to see if you can =
get more information. What I often have seen is a network disconnect betwee=
n the Client and the Media Server. This stops the backup as far as Bpbrm is=
 concerned but Bpbkar does not know about it, he just keeps churning throug=
h data until he is done.=20
 port, Nic, Driver ect. If it only happens on one Policy but other policies=
 for that same client fail then you have a mystery on your hands. If you ca=
n post the relevant logs so we can browse them a bit (Bpbrm, Bpbkar, Bptm t=
o start I would think)
ustin Piszcz</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jpiszcz.backup AT gmail DOT
com">jpiszcz.ba=
ckup AT gmail DOT com</a>&gt; wrote:</span>
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">mkdir /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/=
bpbkar on the client, add VERBOSE =3D 5<br>to the bp.conf and watch the log=
s, also you can make a lot of logging
"mailto:aaron.mills AT returnpath DOT net">aaron.mills AT returnpath DOT
net</a>&gt; wrot=
e:
after the configured<br>&gt; interval (3 hours), but when I check to see wh=
at happened to the client<br>&gt; process, bpbkar is still running (client/=
server on the same box) - it just
he bpbkar<br>&gt; log doesn't show anything useful. The process hums along =
and then just stops<br>&gt; logging all of the sudden. This always seems to=
 happen on the same job,
 I should look here?<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
r>&gt; Return Path, Inc.<br>&gt; 303.642.4111
net">aaron.mills@returnpa=
br>
Veritas-bu maillist&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href=3D"mailto:Veritas-bu@ma=
ilman.eng.auburn.edu">Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a><br><a
href=3D"h=
ttp://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu">http://mailman.en=