Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE-SEND: Migration of NB 4.5 Solaris to NB 6.0 RHEL4

2006-05-04 17:06:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE-SEND: Migration of NB 4.5 Solaris to NB 6.0 RHEL4
From: KFreels AT ask DOT com (Kevin Freels)
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 14:06:54 -0700
Greetings!!

We are attempting a migration from NB 4.5FP6 on Solaris 5.8 to NB 6.0 on
RHEL4 Linux. The big thing, of course, is the catalog migration. Has
anyone had experience with this?

Speaking with VeritaSymantec, they say that I need to upgrade the
Solaris server to 5.x and start with the Linux server at 5.x. Then they
will perform the migration of the catalog (for a fee, of course, since
it's not "supported" by Veritas), and then we upgrade to 6.0 on the
Linux box. And nevermind about the system name change.

I find it a little odd (but not completely unexpected) that "they do not
support the migration of the catalog"; surely, we are not the first to
make such a change. Yet they can perform the migration themselves. I've
a feeling that they have a tool for this not available to the general
public, and that it's probably a lot easier than they let on.

So, has anyone made this type of migration without Veritas' help, and,
if so, how did you do it? I'm not looking forward to doing imports on a
thousand tapes.....

As always, thanks!!!!

....k
Kevin Freels                               kfreels AT ask DOT com
Senior UNIX SysAdmin, Ask.com                 510.985.7444
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."