Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Volume Pools [recommendations please]

2006-04-26 09:49:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Volume Pools [recommendations please]
From: pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:49:21 -0400
--Xk2i.44bM+ZHAt.1ThknA.41Rr+sZ

Yes, however, Netbackup will not do that....one a tape is written with
an image with a 2 week retention, that tape will only be used for other
images with a 2 week retention, untill the tape is filled, and then
after 2 weeks, the entire tape will return to scratch.

There is an explicit option "mix retentions on media" that you can
enable, if you really have a justification, but I can't think of one.

>=20
> We have Policies that include Full and Incrementals. They are=20
> multiplexed
> onto several tapes, but Incrementals are set to only=20
> multiplex to one tape.

Hmmm....looking at my schedules, I'm trying to figure out how you limit
the number of tapes used on a per schedule basis, in a given policy.

> I would say your environment is a lot smaller compared to=20
> ours (not really
> sure of your setup), but again each Business is going to do things
> differently.

Yeah....for sure....you've got more than double the amount of data
backed up.
I guess the way you broke it down in your example, ie. a server, three
tapes...implied something smaller.
That could be an issue....but if you have 50 clients in a policy and you
do have cases where 2 policies use a pool, then you are taking advantage
of economy of scale...if you've got 13 policies, then you've got what?
About 10-12 pools? That doesn't sound so bad.

Paul

--=20
--Xk2i.44bM+ZHAt.1ThknA.41Rr+sZ

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

La version fran=C3=A7aise suit le texte anglais.

---------

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the =
Bank of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying=
 of this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediat=
ely from
your system and notify the sender promptly by email that you have done so.=20

---------

Le pr=C3=A9sent courriel peut contenir de l'information privil=C3=A9gi=C3=
=A9e ou confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute dif=
fusion,
utilisation ou copie de ce courriel ou des renseignements qu'il contient pa=
r une
personne autre que le ou les destinataires d=C3=A9sign=C3=A9s est interdite=
 Si vous recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer imm=C3=A9diatement et envoyer=
 sans d=C3=A9lai =C3=A0
l'exp=C3=A9diteur un message =C3=A9lectronique pour l'aviser que vous avez =
=C3=A9limin=C3=A9 de votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel re=C3=A7u.

--Xk2i.44bM+ZHAt.1ThknA.41Rr+sZ--