Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Volume Pools [recommendations please]

2006-04-26 05:28:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Volume Pools [recommendations please]
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:28:58 +0100
I am surprised by the number of people using a single volume pool for
data backups. What about mixed retentions on media?

The way i do things is like this :-

Have a daily, weekly, monthly, offsite, logs tape pools ( as well as
netbackup, and none obviously )

Now whatever the policy and file list, clients etc i have a daily,
weekly, monthly schedule which has different expiry times on it. Dailys
i expire after 2 weeks, weeklys after 1 month and monthlys after 6
months. The volume pool is associated with the schedule and then all
images from different policies are striped to tapes (mpx) to keep tape
usage down and have the same retention on media.

Weekly and monthly backups are then identified by tapes used in x hours
for a certain tape pool or schedule name once a week and removed from
the jukebox.

The offsite pool i have is for ITC where it is used and have the second
job write to an offsite pool which can then be identified daily and
removed. This offsite pool only has a retention of 2 weeks for any
schedule which runs as there is little point ( IMO ) of having 2 weeks
old Disaster recovery data. Tapes are then brought back into to scratch
after this 2 weeks and reused.

The logs policy has a schedule which is infinite expiry as my customers
sometimes want to keep logs indefinitely and these are usually written
by a script on each client invoking bparchive or bpbackup with a list
produced from find command.

Each to there own, but there is what i do on a normal setup if you can
find any use from it.

Cheers