Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] upgrade to nbu 6.0

2006-04-11 17:14:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] upgrade to nbu 6.0
From: bob944 AT attglobal DOT net (bob944)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:14:59 -0400
> I am currently running NBU 3.4GB on solaris 8 and would like
> to upgrade to solaris 10 and NBU 6.0.
> Are their any documents on what files I need to save.  Or

As others have pointed out, you need to read the manuals.  Get AT LEAST
the Installation Guide for each step (support.veritas.com).  But to
answer that question directly, you need to save any files under
/usr/openv which you have customized in place, like notification scripts
or database backup scripts.

By implication (you wanted to be able to do restores and save your
policies), you need to save the catalog (for insurance) and let each
upgrade step fix up the catalog for that NetBackup version.

Summary of steps:
catalog backup in 3.4
upgrade to 4.5
catalog backup in 4.5
upgrade to 5.1
catalog backup in 5.1
upgrade to 6.0
apply the latest patch (6.0 MP2)

On Solaris, you upgrade by pkgrm-ing the old packages, answering yes to
"is this being done as part of an upgrade" which will leave the catalog
data in place, and installing the new version in the same place.

Considering you are going to Sol10, do all this on the existing system;
3.4 and 4.5 don't know anything about Sol10.

The catalog gets upgraded when you do an upgrade installation.
bprecover is for recovery, not upgrading.  NetBackup doesn't support
catalogs from prior NetBackup releases, though you _could_ get lucky
from time to time.

> would anyone know what procedures I need to follow.  I am
> going to install solaris 10 directly off of a CD as a fresh
> install.  No upgrade option.  So all the files on the server
> will not be preserved during this process.  In the end, i

There's _always_ an upgrade option.  Go get an $200 Ultra 2 on eBay and
use that if you have to.  Build your Sol10 system, install 6.0 and
bprecover the upgraded-to-6.0 catalog from the Ultra.

> would like to have the ability to restore from previous
> backups and if possible, keep the same policies that i had before.

If you can't do any of the above, do a fresh installation on the Sol10
system and bpimport all your tapes.  You'll lose all configuration
information such as policies, but will be able to restore all data on
the tapes.  Unless you have a trivial NBU installation, importing will
take you longer than upgrading.

You can always get Veritas to come out and handle this process for you.