Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Large Folder Backup Wildcards - Windows

2006-04-11 02:04:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Large Folder Backup Wildcards - Windows
From: bob944 AT attglobal DOT net (bob944)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 02:04:20 -0400
> I've read the official Veritas documentation on using wildcards to
> backup files on Windows and I want to know if anyone has come up with
> something better.  Basically Veritas says for 4.5-5.1 list everything
> you want to backup, then exclude all of it, and then include using
> wildcards.

To what, exactly are you referring?  What documentation and what
situation?

> That's all fine and dandy for one server, but it could be a
> major nightmare for several large file servers.  Apparently UNIX
backups
> support this functionality on the selection list, unfortunately none
of
> my file servers are Linux/Unix.  :(

What functionality?  Wildcards work in both Unix and Windows classes.
Which characters are valid wilcards varies with the client OS, since
that OS is what defines what characters are valid in filenames as well
as what chars are wildcards.

Regardless of platform, the universe of what you want to back up on a
class of servers goes into the class's selection list:  c:\mydir

Regardless of platform, any parts of the universe defined by the
selection list, which you don't want to back up, go in the exclude list:
c:\mydir\tmp

Regardless of platform, any parts of the exclude list which you want to
re-include ("Exceptions to exclude list" in 6.0) go in the include list:
c:\mydir\tmp\audit*

> Anyone have any better ideas / has this been resolved in NBU 6.0 ?

Please restate your question.  You must have a point which I'm not
seeing.