Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Issues with NetBackup after applying Solaris patches

2006-04-06 11:54:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Issues with NetBackup after applying Solaris patches
From: jack.l.forester AT lmco DOT com (Jack Forester, Jr.)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 11:54:28 -0400
We do patches on our Solaris master servers on a semi-annual basis.  We
also take advantage of the fact that both our test and production
environments are clustered to minimize the chances that a bad patch will
hose the environment.  We use a rolling upgrade method.  First, we apply
patches to the standby node in the cluster and reboot.  If, after a
week, we have no problems with the patches, we failover our NetBackup
and ACSLS services to the newly patched server and allow it to run there
for a week.  If there are problems, we move the services back to the
unpatched node.  If we have no problems, only then will we put the
patches on the other node in the cluster.  Although we've not yet had
any problems with any patches, I feel pretty confident that we would not
be put out of business if a Solaris patch happened to break something
critical (unless it were something that didn't show up until after both
nodes in the cluster had been patched).

--
Jack L. Forester, Jr.
UNIX Systems Administrator, Stf