Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Separate NIC

2006-04-06 11:23:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Separate NIC
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 10:23:18 -0500
* Brooks, Jason <brooksje AT longwood DOT edu> [2006-04-06 10:22]:
> I have been asked to test a separate backup network for a single host in
> our environment that is taking about 8-9 hours to backup nightly
> (Differentials).  It's a Win2k3 Fileserver, FYI.
>
> The question I have regards this, from NBU Win Admin Guide II, page 120:
>
> REQUIRED_NETWORK
> The REQUIRED_NETWORKentry specifies the required route for backup
> traffic in an
> environment where the network traffic is segregated.
> For example, an environment may contain a production network at
> 145.21.14.0 and a
> backup network at 192.132.28.0. To indicate that NetBackup should use
> only the
> backup network, add the following entry:
> REQUIRED_NETWORK = 192.132.28.0
>
> What I currently have is this:
>
> A second card in and up on my Master/Media server with an IP of
> 192.168.1.9
> A second card in and up on my client with an IP of 192.168.1.10
>
> I have modified the name of the client in the BA&R utility, via File ->
> NetBackup Client Utility.
>
> With this setup, can I backup one server out of band from the regular
> network without having to appropriate another Media server?  If so,
> where does the REQUIRED_NETWORK entry go, Master/Media, client, both?
> If both, won't all other backups fail?

If your routing is correct, you do not need the REQUIRED_NETWORK at all.

You just need to make sure your name resolution for both the master and
the client resolve to the backup network for the test.

--
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com