Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 6.0 MP1 and BMR

2006-03-24 16:15:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6.0 MP1 and BMR
From: Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA (Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:15:05 -0600
--=_alternative 0074BCB38625713B_=

1) You will need a Windows Server setup as a Windows BMR boot server. This
is a Big change from NB 4.6, we complained to our sales rep about this.
Since we have a Solaris 10 master, we need another windows computer to
boot the other clients. It seems that the reason that it was changed
because of
a.) complaints about samba security. Sounds pretty cheesy to me
b.) in order to restore windows servers you needed a UNIX server
2) You can't BMR a solaris 10 client. We use solaris flash archives to
restore those servers. This will be fixed in future maintenance packs.
3) Make sure you have the latest maintenance pack installed. MP2 for NB
6.0 should be out shortly.
4) If you have a BMR client with MSDE installed into a custom instance,
BMR will not be able to get transfer its configuration to the boot server.
There is a work around, support ca help you with that.

We generally take our master server off-line and move it to a test network
to do restores during the day. Our master server does not do any backups
during the day. I had to build a separate restore procedure for the
windows boot server for our DR procedure. It's is PIA. Man, item one is
sure ryelling me up when typing this.

BMR will take more time to test than you think. It's the little things
that don't end up working during the testing that you spend days on. Once
you have things ironed out, it's easy as pie.

veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu wrote on 03/24/2006 02:42:18 PM:

> I have a simple NetBackup 6.0 setup with Windows and
> Solaris servers. Master is Solaris 10. Most of them
> are in the same segment. I want to set up and test BMR
> for 2 Solaris machines and 1 windows 2003 server(they
> are in the same subnet as my master).
>
> Do you have a simple one or two page procedure to do
> it?
> Basically I am looking for what software goes on where
> and the sequence?
> Secondly how to configure BMR, high level instructions
> will do.
> Thirdly, any gotchas?
>
> BTW I can make my master the boot server also, i have
> options, as I also have another spare server (Soalris
> 10) on the same subnet. Best practices?
>
> Thanks and have a great weekend.
>
> MK

--=_alternative 0074BCB38625713B_=

as a Windows BMR boot server. This is a Big change from NB 4.6, we complained
to our sales rep about this. Since we have a Solaris 10 master, we need
another windows computer to boot the other clients. It seems that the reason
that it was changed because of</font>
Sounds pretty cheesy to me</font>
you needed a UNIX server</font>
We use solaris flash archives to restore those servers. This will be fixed
in future maintenance packs.</font>
pack installed. MP2 for NB 6.0 should be out shortly.</font>
installed into a custom instance, BMR will not be able to get transfer
its configuration to the boot server. There is a work around, support ca
help you with that.</font>
off-line and move it to a test network to do restores during the day. Our
master server does not do any backups during the day. I had to build a
separate restore procedure for the windows boot server for our DR procedure.
It's is PIA. Man, item one is sure ryelling me up when typing this.</font>
you think. It's the little things that don't end up working during the
testing that you spend days on. Once you have things ironed out, it's easy
as pie.<br>
03/24/2006
02:42:18 PM:<br>
&gt; I have a simple NetBackup 6.0 setup with Windows and<br>
&gt; Solaris servers. Master is Solaris 10. Most of them<br>
&gt; are in the same segment. I want to set up and test BMR<br>
&gt; for 2 Solaris machines and 1 windows 2003 server(they<br>
&gt; are in the same subnet as my master). <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Do you have a simple one or two page procedure to do<br>
&gt; it?<br>
&gt; Basically I am looking for what software goes on where<br>
&gt; and the sequence?<br>
&gt; Secondly how to configure BMR, high level instructions<br>
&gt; will do.<br>
&gt; Thirdly, any gotchas?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; BTW I can make my master the boot server also, i have<br>
&gt; options, as I also have another spare server (Soalris<br>
&gt; 10) on the same subnet. Best practices?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks and have a great weekend.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; MK<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; __________________________________________________<br>
&gt; Do You Yahoo!?<br>
&gt; Tired of spam? &nbsp;Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
&gt; http://mail.yahoo.com <br>
&gt; Veritas-bu maillist &nbsp;- &nbsp;Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu<br>
&gt; http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>