Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] on the subject of disk based backups....

2006-03-23 17:46:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] on the subject of disk based backups....
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:46:48 -0600
* Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org> [2006-03-23 13:12]:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 08:05:53AM -0500, Paul Keating wrote:
> > Just wondering who is using DSSU, adn who is using VTL, adn why you made
> > that choice....ie.what were the key requirements for your environment
> > that made one option better than the other.
>
> We're using DSSU.  It was free and that was a contributing factor.  At
> one point, I was a proponent of VTL technology here but since then, I've
> changed my mind and now believe that VTL is a niche market that will be
> killed off by the free DSSU functionality.  Veritas originally had a
> fairly week implementation of its DSSUs and even in 5.1MP4, it's not
> great.  It's supposed to be better in NBU 6, and I expect that it will
> continue to evolve and eventually kill off the VTL requirement for the
> vast majority of customers.
>
> I think that VTLs will work for us at least as good as DSSUs do.  It's
> just that we don't see a need to throw extra $ at the problem today.

The only thing that will kill VTLs is when DSSUs become shareable via
SSO to multiple media servers.  Until that happens, the only way to
share the resource is for the virtual tape drives to be set up in SSO.
DSSUs can't be shared (yet).

--
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com